Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Xiu Xiu - D.G.I.H.M.


I'm listening to the new Xiu Xiu album, "Dear God I Hate Myself" as I write this. So far it's pretty good, more similar to "The Airforce" in its accessibility than it is to earlier stuff like "A Promise" or "Fag Patrol."
These songs are pretty solid, the vocals and instrumentation are similar to the old Xiu Xiu that I love, but the first couple songs on the record seem too clean and a little lacking in emotional delivery. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the lyrics aren't introspective or emotional, I just miss Jamie's voice cracking with emotion and I'm not in love with how digital some of the tracks feel.
I remember going to see Xiu Xiu's live show and being enveloped by the noise, like I was being gently cradled by a giant who wanted nothing more than to crush me and I feel like that came though on earlier albums more than it does on this one. Still I'm enjoying this listen and the record just keeps picking up speed.
I'm about halfway through the album now and I have to say that the title track is pretty great. This song seems more genuine than anything else I've heard on this record so far and that is what I was looking for all along. Some emotion! I also enjoyed the previous track "Hyunhye's Theme" pretty well.
I have a feeling the second half of this record is going to pick up speed and really kick me in the ass for what I said about the first few tracks, so I'll let you listen to the record for yourself and form your own opinion.
xiu xiu
Try it
Buy it (pre-order)
p.s. In editing this post, messing around on the computer I'm most of the way through "Dear God I Hate Myself" and I have to say, the second half of this record is AWESOME. Definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment